In the early 1920s, the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary moved from downtown Louisville to its new home at “The Beeches,” a suburban location on Lexington Road. In November of 1924, the seminary community laid the cornerstone for a new Norton Hall. When the seminary began to occupy the building in March of 1926, it provided a library, classrooms, administrative and faculty offices, and a chapel. The prestigious Boston firm of Frederick Law Olmsted and Company designed the layout for the new campus. The northeast classroom wing of Norton Hall was added in 1947.