On the occasion of the election of Matt Bevin as governor-elect of Kentucky, Southern Seminary remembers the generosity of Bevin to the campus through his partnership to endow the Bevin Center for Missions Mobilization. The Bevin Center, named in honor of his late daughter Brittiney, sends student missionaries to international and domestic fields of service in addition to offering a variety of other ministry functions. On this historic occasion, the Archives and Special Collections of the James P. Boyce Centennial Library remembers another historic endowment bestowed upon the seminary by a businessman who also once held the office of a state governor, Joseph Emerson Brown (1821 – 1894).
An ominous cloud lingered over the seminary’s future in December of 1879. Throughout the decade, James P. Boyce had made repeated appeals in hopes of raising the school’s endowment, but even after relocating the campus to Louisville in 1877, his outlook turned bleak, as reflected in his plea published in an issue of Tennessee’s Baptist newspaper: “I think it my duty to warn the brethren of the danger to our seminary. . . our means of annual support are so utterly insufficient that unless the brethren aid in this direction, this must be our last session for some years to come.”
Though some supporters feared Boyce’s public honesty would discourage optimism, his decision proved a wise strategy. The Baptist enjoyed a wide circulation across the southern states, and Boyce’s appeal resonated with many churches that scrambled to make special offerings to save the school; by mid-January of 1880, seventy-nine churches had raised $2,672. Yet, these small gifts alone were insufficient for the mountain of debt the school faced, and Boyce hoped that God would raise up a benevolent donor to give $50,000. That donor proved to be businessman and former Georgia governor Joseph Emerson Brown.
Brown, educated at Yale Law School between 1845 and 1846, had established himself as a prosperous lawyer and businessman, but gradually focused his efforts upon politics. Elected to the Georgia state senate in 1849, Brown achieved great influence within the Democratic Party. In 1857, he won the gubernatorial election of Georgia, and enjoyed a succession of re-elections, remaining in office until the end of the Civil War in 1865. After being paroled by Andrew Johnson, he briefly became a Republican and supported the president’s Reconstruction policy, serving as chief justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia. He soon returned to his Democratic roots, however, and resumed his career pursuits in law and business. In 1879, Brown found himself on the threshold of a ten-year run in the United States Senate, which he would serve from 1880 to 1890.
Brown, after reading to the appeal in The Baptist, wrote to Boyce and promised that “if he could be satisfied as to the financial condition and prospects of the seminary,” he would bestow the $50,000 gift free of conditions. Boyce journeyed to Atlanta to meet with Brown, and returned to Louisville with the gift, which led to the endowment of the Joseph Emerson Brown Professorship of Systematic Theology. The serendipitous nature of Brown’s gift gave Boyce renewed vigor to launch a campaign to raise $200,000 for the seminary’s invested endowment. The seminary soon reached its goal through additional contributions from Louisville benefactors and more than $40,000 raised in New York City. By the summer of 1881, Boyce was finally able to say, “The seminary is now safe—humanly speaking.”
Boyce became the first occupant of the Joseph Emerson Brown Chair of Theology, and a total of nine Southern Seminary professors have held the title, the incumbent now being President R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
S. Craig Sanders, “Southern Seminary donor Matt Bevin elected Kentucky governor,” Southern News, 4 November 2015 [on-line], accessed 5 November 2015, http://news.sbts.edu/2015/11/04/southern-seminary-donor-matt-bevin-elected-kentucky-governor/; Internet.
James Petigru Boyce, “The Danger to the Seminary,” The Baptist, 6 December 1879
F. N. Boney, “Joseph E. Brown (1821-1894),” New Georgia Encyclopedia [on-line], accessed 5 November 2015, http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/government-politics/joseph-e-brown-1821-1894; Internet.
Gregory A. Wills, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1859-2009 (Oxford University Press, 2009), 159-160.
Currently on display in the Archives & Special Collections office of the James P. Boyce Centennial Library is a display chronicling the history of Billy Graham’s relationship with the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. On October 14, 2014, the seminary celebrated the 20th anniversary of the Billy Graham School of Missions, Evangelism, and Ministry, the only school in the world that the great evangelist has allowed to bear his name.
In 1956, Southern Seminary became the first repository for Graham’s evangelistic records, which are now indexed and publicly accessible for research within our facilities. Patrons visiting the archives can view manuscripts, books, crusade files, photographs, audio-visual material, and other paraphernalia chronicling Graham’s evangelistic heritage. Also on perpetual display is Aileen Ortlip Shea’s famous 1961 oil painting of Graham.
Learn more about Graham’s relationship with Southern Seminary from this article by SBTS head librarian C. Berry Driver published in the Southern Seminary Magazine (Fall 2014):
On November 6, the SBTS community commemorated the 150th birthday of Dr. Archibald Thomas Robertson (Nov. 6, 1863–Sept. 24, 1934). Robertson began teaching at the seminary in 1888 as assistant to John A. Broadus, and he continued teaching until his sudden death in 1934. To this day, Robertson’s name remains synonymous with mastery of New Testament Greek. With dozens of published books to his name—including the ever popular Word Pictures in the New Testament and A Grammar of the Greek New Testament in Light of Historical Research—Robertson remains one of the most influential minds ever produced by Southern Seminary. In addition to his New Testament scholarship, Robertson’s further contributions to the seminary’s public reputation came through his frequent lecture engagements to churches and Bible conferences. His tireless efforts helped strengthen the perception of Southern Seminary as a Baptist institution committed to training preachers in orthodox doctrine, warm piety, and biblical exposition.