The Archives and Special Collections of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary houses a variety of resources related to the history of the Seminary, the Southern Baptist Convention, and Baptists in general.
The archives has many electronic finding aids at http://archon.sbts.edu. Links to select items within our special collections can be found to the left. Many of these collections have legacy electronic finding aids that can still be accessed from their individual pages.
We have eleven main collections.
- The Seminary Archives Collection consists of the official, published, and unpublished records of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- The Manuscript Collection consists of manuscripts, both typed and handwritten, of seminary related materials—presidents’, faculty and staff members’ papers. In addition, there are a number of Kentucky Baptist church records under this designation.
- The Rare Book Collection consists of books that date before 1820. This collection has a number of extremely valuable older books. In addition, we have a multivolume set of bound pamphlets given to the seminary by Basil Manly Sr. Finally, this collection also includes a number of rare serials and religious publications.
- The Founders Book Collection consists of materials from the personal libraries of James P. Boyce, John A. Broadus, Basil Manly Jr., William Williams, William H. Whitsitt, and E.Y. Mullins.
- The Haldeman Bible Collection consists primarily of valuable, early, and rare versions of the Bible.
- The Professors’ Collection consists of single copies of major books written by the faculty during their tenure at this institution. This is a non-accesible collection, intended primarily for preservation.
- The Baptist Minutes Collection consists of approximately 105,000 Baptist association, state, and national minutes. We maintain a cardex of these minutes, found in the Billy Graham Room.
- The Academic Catalog Collection consists of a number of Baptist college and seminary catalogs from institutions throughout the South. Particularly valuable are the 19th century institutional minutes. This collection is currently uncatalogued.
- The Baptist Church Histories Collection is a substantial file of donated local Baptist Church Histories. This collection can be searched by state in Archon.
- The Billy Graham Collection consists of thousands of photographs, periodical off-prints, clippings, pamphlets, and memorabilia. This collection is currently uncatalogued.
- The Photograph Collection consists of over thirty thousand photographs that are currently being indexed and re-housed in vertical files in the Archives Room.
Items within our Archives, Manuscript, Rare Book, Founders, Haldeman Bible, and Professors’ Collections are generally catalogued and can be searched from the Library’s online catalog.